Making The System Work For You
“How does this work?” It’s the most common question asked by people who come to see me about their family law issue. The family law system, and its processes, seems understandably intimidating to most people. Whether you are facing a divorce, a child custody dispute, fighting for your rights as a father or seeking custody of your child, the first step is often the hardest.
The legal system is an unknown for most people, and putting your life and your future in the hands of that unknown can be terrifying. It’s the first thing I address when we meet for your consultation, and from day one I focus on providing you with the tools and information you need to navigate your divorce, paternity rights, adoption or custody case.
What To Expect
My office handles all types of family law cases, but there are certain things that remain true regardless of your particular issue:
- You don’t have to have everything on day one — Guiding you through the process in an efficient manner is my goal. Gathering all the necessary documentation takes time, and you don’t have to know everything about your divorce or your plans for child custody to get started.
- We will have multiple strategies — When two sides can agree through negotiation to a settlement rather than leaving the decision outside of their control, the results are often better. Few parents, for example, want to leave decisions about custody, visitation and child support to a judge. We will have strategies for negotiation, for mediation and for litigating.
- My 20 years of experience can work for you — It’s likely that I’ve handled plenty of cases just like yours before, from juvenile law to adoption and custody. I’ll have a good idea of what can work, what won’t work and what you can expect the outcome to be.
- You will have what you need to make informed decisions — The last thing you need to deal with in the family law process is having a lawyer who leaves you in the dark. Before you are asked to make decisions, you will have the information you need to make the right decision for your family.
- You will be treated with respect — It seems obvious, but when you walk in my office you aren’t just another case. I treat each person individually, getting to know your goals and expectations. I am not just your lawyer; I’m your advocate and your adviser.
Contact me today to schedule a consultation. My office handles all types of family law cases, and is ready to help you throughout your family law conflict.